Do you need even more cheese in your life? With temperatures gradually dropping as the fall progresses, we invite you to (re) discover one of Switzerland’s most popular recipes: the famous croûte au fromage.
For 4 servings, you will need:
11 oz small onions
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp honey
8 slices bread
1/3 cup white wine
8 slices ham
12 slices Swiss raclette cheese
- Preheat oven to 430°F.
- Mix the small onions and all ingredients, including salt and pepper, in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for approx. 5 minutes.
- Place bread on greased sheet pan, drizzle with wine, top with the ham first and then the cheese slices.
- Cook the croûtes au fromage for approx. 10 minutes in the upper half of the preheated oven.
- Prepare 4 fried eggs in a pan.
- Once the cheese is melted, remove the croûtes au fromage from the oven, place a fried egg on each serving of 2, sprinkle them with the onion-mixture, and add paprika and pepper.
Enjoy this delicious recipe with a glass of white wine, and... Bon appétit!
(source: Embassy of Switzerland)